On June 17th, 2021, IOS held our monthly Virtual Office Hour with a focus on supplemental funding opportunities. Submitting supplement proposals can be somewhat unusual – for some of our more predictable supplement types, e.g., a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), investigators should include these requests at the time they are preparing their grant proposal. Other supplemental needs cannot be predicted, such as a Career-Life Balance supplement or when a talented student enters your lab and you had not anticipated the need for REU support. Because of those unpredictable and unexpected needs, IOS accepts supplement requests to ongoing awards to be submitted by March 1st of any given calendar year. Prior to submitting a supplement proposal, you should reach out to your cognizant program officer by email to discuss the supplement request.
Information on applying for supplements, including the types below, can be found here:
- Research Assistantships for High School Students (RAHSS) – funding for a promising high school student through a research activity.
- Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) – funding for a K-12 science teacher to participate in research and share their experiences with their students.
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) – funding for undergraduates to participate in your research program.
- Research Opportunity Awards (ROA) – designed for faculty at Primarily Undergraduate Institutions to pursue research opportunities.
- Mid-Career Investigator Supplements in Integrative Organismal Biology (MCI) – for anyone post-tenure but pre-retirement to pursue new techniques to benefit their research program.
- Career-Life Balance (CLB) – provides support for additional personnel to keep your research going when life intervenes.
One last supplement of interest is the Non-Academic Research Internships for Graduate Students (INTERN, NSF 21-013). This provides support for a graduate student working in your lab to investigate and pursue non-academic employment possibilities, offering mentoring and information about alternate careers.
Join us on July 15th, 2021 at 1pm EDT for our next IOS Virtual Office Hour.