The Directorate for Biological Sciences released a new Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) Rules of life (RoL): Forecasting and Emergence in Living Systems (FELS) that will solicit research proposals that can forecast the direction and dynamics of change in living systems. The DCL describes the opportunity to identify areas where such rules may exist, to catalyze interdisciplinary approaches toward their discovery, and to focus efforts on using these rules for prediction and design of useful biological systems. This solicitation will refine emerging research areas under the Rules of Life which is one of NSF’s 10 Big Ideas. The definition of “rules” in RoL are the general principles of theoretical constructs that explain and predict the characteristics of living systems. NSF would like to explore rules that cross spatial or organizational levels and/or temporal scales of living systems.
Activities under this DCL include Research Advanced by interdisciplinary Science and Engineering (RAISE) grants that will create opportunities for enabling predictive capability, EArly-concept Grants for Exploratory Research (EAGERs) , and conferences. Deadlines for each activity can be found below. To submit a competitive proposal, be sure to read the Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) and the DCL for additional guidance specific to each activity.
- RoL FELS EAGERs: A 2-page prospectus of the proposed research must be submitted to the RoL: FELS mailbox (RoLBIO@nsf.gov) by February 20, 2018. Full Proposals must be received by May 15, 2018.
- RoL FELS conference: Deadline of submission of these proposals is June 1, 2018.
- RoL FELS RAISE: A 2-page prospectus of the proposed research must be submitted to the RoL: FELS mailbox (RoLBIO@nsf.gov) by February 20, 2018.
Note: All submission must follow PAPPG guidelines.
- Biological Sciences (BIO)
- Computer & Information Science & Engineering (CISE)
- Education and Human Resources (EHR)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS)
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE)
- Engineering (ENG)
- Geosciences (GEO)
Questions about the Dear Colleague Letter and questions about submission of EAGER and RAISE proposals should be directed to RoLBIO@nsf.gov.
As always, contact a program director if you have questions!
Hear more about Rules of Life in this audio documentary